Seattle Film Festival, 2009

Posted by Doggie | 10:14 AM | 0 comments »


The Seattle Film Festival is back and is as good as ever; However the attendance appears to be down from last previous years. The films are as new and fresh and creative as you would expect. The film venues have also been expanded over the years from the usual Capital Hill and downtown Seattle neighborhood theaters. The Seattle Center Nesholm Family Lecture Hall was the venue where I saw my first SIFF Film of 2009.
My Partner Dan texted me to say that our friend Jerry had an extra SIFF Ticket to the Film "Four Boxes" at the Nesholm Hall at Seattle Center. I sprung for the Popcorn and drinks. Only at SIFF events do I forgive the obvious price gouging at concessions stands. At SIFF I also don't mind paying slightly exaggerated prices for some pretty experimental creative efforts. Yet I never feel cheated, as is often the case with the big box movie productions. Many times I feel that the big productions needs a Wal Mart education in appropriate pricing. Why should anyone pay $10.00 for movies with acting, directing and writing that is no better than the SIFF stuff?
Our Movie "Four Boxes" was true to the nature of most SIFF stuff, creative, fun and immediately relateable. As for length, boy this movie did go on for a while 84 minutes or so. However I did find the characters to be again interesting and funny. What made it even more enjoyable is that you know that these actors are not being paid big bucks to do these films. Add to that the chance to see fresh faces on the screen, and promising actors, directors and writers at the start of their careers.
There is always something special about movies in Seattle. There is a commitment to the arts in Seattle, and real reverence for art house movies both foreign and domestic.
My SIFF Movie list: http://www.siff.net/
  • Four Boxes
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Three Blind Mice
  • Forever Enthralled
  • Youssou N'dour: I Bring What I Love
  • Kaifeck Murder


0 comments